Being a parent is regarded a blessing. However, it brings a lot of concerns for a parent to keep their child safe. Parents who commute in a vehicle have to install an Infant car seat as a requirement by the federal law. A lot of parents buy these chairs from a local store or online and face several problems while installing them as the instruction manuals which come with these products offer little value to the user.
A Federal agency for highway safety claims that three out of four infant seats are not adequately installed which can be an issue in the case of a crash. In this article, we share our advice and guidelines to install an infant car seat correctly. First of all, you need to understand two ground rules before installing an infant car seat.
1st Infant car seats are designed to be rear facing and should never be placed in a forward facing position; it’s recommended for the seat to be installed in a rear-facing way only. Until the child outgrows the infant seat or reaches the age of 2 years
2nd Infant car seat should never be mounted in the front row seats in any vehicle.
Apart from these two basic rules, below we discuss in detail how you go about installing a car seat.
Installing car seat base with seat belts
The first step of installing an Infant car set should be reading the seat and cars instruction manual as there has to be a match in vehicle and baby seat’s installation guidelines. If car seats match the car seat installation guidelines then only it is a safe and sturdy install.
Steps to be followed:
- Place the seat belt in rear facing position.
- Check the angle of installation by seats built-in angle indicator and if your car seat comes without an angle indicator use a bubble level instead.
- Now cover the seat with a seat belt and make sure the seat belt has no curls and is locked properly.
- Double check the lock by pulling it, try to shake the chair and see if there is a displacement of its position.
- Try reclining the seat to a level that it opens enough space for a baby to look around and move its head; the seat should be installed keeping in mind the amount of recline required according to your baby’s height
- Attach the baby car seat base now and check again for any sign of improper install, the base should not move more than an inch.
- If you want to be sure that your installation is one hundred percent right, try placing some weight on the car seat and see if there is any movement or not.
If you take care of the above-mentioned precautions, your car seat is most likely to be installed correctly.